Search This Blog

Saturday, July 23, 2011

U.S. Girls' Junior Championship... Final Match

Being hosted at
Olympia Fields C. C. (South Course)
July 18-23, 2011

Nothing can be more rewarding than to see a bunch of young ladies (12 - 17 years old) play golf!  Especially if they play as well as the girls that have been playing this week at Olympia Fields C. C.  And, today after two rounds of stroke play to qualify, and five rounds of match play, two young ladies (Ariya Jutanugarn from Thailand and Dottie Ardina from the Philippines) will play 36 holes of match play golf to determine the winner of the U.S. Girls' Junior Championship.  As some of you know, golf is my favorite sport.  However, I do not play the game as often as I do seem to volunteer for tournaments and matches being played in Chicago and its south suburbs.  I currently serve on the CWDGA board and have had the opportunity to volunteer for various local events, as well as, the 2009 Solheim Cup  and the 2009 U.S. Senior Amateur.  This year when asked if I would volunteer for the U.S. Girls's Jr. Championship, I did not hesitate.  I was fortunate enough to work the first two days of registration handing out packets of info to the 156 participants.  On both Wednesday and Thursday, I was enlisted to be a "walking scorer".  This volunteer job requires you to walk with the USGA official (also a volunteer!) and to record into a hand-held devise each players score so that in real time, live scoring can be posted to the internet for everyone to view. And, yes, despite the record breaking heat, it was a pleasure to be involved and watch so many wonderful young lady golfers play!

I am pleased to say that one of the young players that I walked with on Thursday has made it to the finals, her name is Dottie Ardina from the Philippines.  Dottie will be playing against a very strong player from Thailand, Ariya Jutanugarn. Oh, what a day it will be as both young ladies are awesome golfers!  So today, I will be a spectator and cheerleader as I watch the final match with much anticipation.  

Stay tuned or better yet, sign up for a "follow by email" (upper right hand corner of the blog) update as later I will talk about a favorite golfing RSCJ friend of mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment