Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Betty Ford and an RSCJ connection

Mary Schumacher, RSCJ, LPC and Betty Ford



Earlier today, I spoke to Mary Schumacher, RSCJ, LPC  better known as Sr. "Shoe".  We first met at the AASH Conference in Los Angeles in 2007.  Sr. "Shoe" a graduate of Sheridan Road and Maryville was in Miami for the 2011 AASH Conference in April and returned to Chicago this past May for the Hardey Prep 75th Anniversary celebration.  At our first meeting in 2007, I learned that "Shoe" lived in Palm Desert, CA and worked as a Counselor at the Betty Ford Center. She is currently conducting recovery and spiritual direction retreats on weekends. Sr. "Shoe" had many connections to Betty Ford (same birthday and same type of heart surgery) and told me how meaningful it was for her to attend the wake this afternoon. Below is a poem written by Emily Dickinson that was printed on a memorial card and given out to all the mourners who attended the wake at St. Margaret's Episcopal Church today. So appropriate for such a gracious, courageous and inspiring First Lady!




IF I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again, 
I shall not live in vain.






No comments:

Post a Comment