Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

To whom much is given, much will be required...

Marianna Bolognesi Florian
(1919 - 2011)
Barat College alumna ~ Class 1940


Today I attended the Mass of Resurrection for Barat College alumna Marianna Bolognesi Florian.  Marianna was a 1940 graduate of Barat College in Lake Forest, IL.  She was a true child of the Sacred Heart and lived a full life as wife, mother, and friend to many. From an early age her mother, Rose Garibaldi Bolognesi (1908 alumna of the Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest, IL)  taught Marianna and her sister Catrina the importance of giving back and boy did she!  A classmate friend of Marianna's sat next to me and before mass commented that until she read her obit on Sunday was not fully aware of the shear number of charitable organizations that Marianna was involved in and then she paused and stated that in their college years Marianna was always ready to pitch in and do whatever task needed to be done.  No job was beneath her!   So, as I sat in Saints Faith, Hope and Charity Church this morning and listened intently as her son read the Second Reading, a particular sentence struck a Sacred Heart chord in me.  Second Reading (Philippians 4:8-10),  "Farewell; I wish you all joy in the Lord.  I shall say it again; all joy be yours.  Let your generosity be clear to all.  Then God's own peace, which is beyond all understanding, will stand guard over your hearts and mind, in Christ Jesus.  And now my family, all that is lovable and gracious, whatever is excellent and admirable - fill all your thoughts with these things.  The lessons I taught you, the traditions I have passed on, all that you heard me say or saw me do, put into practice; and the God of love will be with you."

Knowing that Marianna's mother Rose Garibaldi Bolognesi had been buried from the very same church in 1988, I smiled and thought of the current Sacred Heart Goals being taught in our schools today.  Yes, to whom much is given, much will be required!   

Thank you Marianna for a life well lived and full of service to others! May you rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment