Search This Blog

Saturday, April 26, 2014

"Palm Tree" A Poem by Danielle Moragne, SHP'13

Guadalupe Palm
Photo taken July 2013 during the Society of the Sacred Heart Spirituality Forum hosted at
Sacred Heart Schools ~ Atherton, Calf
(Note: The poem below refers to a specific palm located in the Dunlevie Aquatic Center at Sacred Heart Prep)


Palm Tree

I followed a feathered friend
on a late Sunday afternoon
Where he took me, however,
confused me,
but he kept singing his mellow tune.

He was beckoning me to the palm tree
and that when he left me.
I saw the sun's fiery blaze
smoldering across the horizon.
The palm branches fanned, 
casting long stretched shadows on the land,
only a dark silhouette for me to see.

But that's when I noticed
the plant four feet off the ground.
The small greens buds
and fuzzy rounded leaf
told me it was a fig tree,
growing straight out of the giant palm.
One life fostering another,
both swaying slightly in the calm.

I followed a feathered friend
on a late Sunday afternoon
and found what could be
my own spot for re-centering
my sanity.

~ Danielle Moragne, SHP'13

Inaugurated by the Academy of American Poets in 1996, National Poetry Month is now held every April to celebrate poetry and its vital place in American culture.  If you have a favorite poem written by an alum or RSCJ that you would like to share, please send to AASH PAST PRESIDENT MER 

No comments:

Post a Comment