Search This Blog

Thursday, April 24, 2014

"Red Wood Tree" A Poem by Danielle Moragne, SHP'13

Photo taken July 2013 during the Society of the Sacred Heart Spirituality Forum hosted at
Sacred Heart Schools ~ Atherton, Calf near Oakwood, the RSCJ Retirement Community

RED WOOD TREE

The rustic bark
compresses under my fingertips
as my hands slide into the 
crevices of the frayed protective layer.
The environment and wind have taken their toll
as they anxiously try to hug
this magnificent entity.

Surrounded by redwood trees,
my vision blurs.
My head spins,
deep green pines,
calming blue-gray sky,
red bark,
then stillness

Looking up, the scent of evergreens
descends into my nose,
the cannons of bark stretching out above me.
I am walking up that ladder
of branches,
slowly floating higher
and higher
to that ever present warmth, comfort, and serenity,
until every thought is dissolved.
I have reached my inner peace.

~ Danielle Moragne, SHP'13


Inaugurated by the Academy of American Poets in 1996, National Poetry Month is now held every April to celebrate poetry and its vital place in American culture.  If you have a favorite poem written by an alum or RSCJ that you would like to share, please send to AASH PAST PRESIDENT MER 

No comments:

Post a Comment