Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2012

Remembering Sr. Ida Rinne, RSCJ (1916 - 2012)

Sister Ida Rinne (1916-2012)


I first met Sr. Rinne on May 26, 2011 as I arrived at Oakwood for a visit. Like a guardian angel she was sitting in her wheelchair at the entrance and greeted me with a great big smile.  I introduced myself and asked her from what part of the US was she from.  She smiled and said "Chicago".  It seemed immediately that we felt a connection.  On Sunday, May 29th Sr. Rinne was there in the Dining Room anxious to hear about my visit and all of the festivities that surrounded graduation weekend for Sacred Heart Prep.  She noticed a silver medal around my neck and inquired if it was my "Child of Mary" medal.  When I said no and told her that it was in fact of St. Madeleine Sophie Barat and produced in the 1920's after she was canonized she seemed intrigued.  Before I left to catch my flight back to Chicago, Sr. Rinne returned to the Dinning Room that Sunday afternoon with her "Child of Mary" medal in hand.  She told me she wanted me to have it and stated that Mother Eleanor Regan also from Minnesota had given it to her after she had entered the Society. May this loving "Child of Mary" rest in peace!  To read Sr. Rinne's obit click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment