Search This Blog

Monday, September 3, 2012

Prayer by Marie Howe, PS'68


from THE KINGDOM OF ORDINARY TIME,
W.W. Norton & Co. 2008

Prayer

by Marie Howe, 
alumna of Prince Street class of 1968

Every day I want to speak with you. And every day something more important 
calls for my attention -- the drugstore, the beauty products, the luggage 

I need to buy for the trip. 
Even now I can hardly sit here

among the falling piles of paper and clothing, the garbage trucks outside 
already screeching and banging. 

The mystics say you are as close as my own breath. 
Why do I flee from you? 

My days and nights pour through me like complaints 
and become a story I forgot to tell. 

Help me. Even as I write these words I am planning 
to rise from the chair as soon as I finish this sentence.


- Marie Howe, The Kingdom of Ordinary Time, W.W. Norton & Co
 Editors Note:  Marie Howe is the niece of Srs. Madeline and Margaret "Kelly" Howe, RSCJ who are both deceased.  I thought Marie's poem was befitting on this beautiful Labor Day and in celebration of her recent appointment as New York State Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment