Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2018

#OnThisDay in 1834: Philippine Duchesne writes to Madeleine Sophie Barat


Philippine was known to sleep under the stairs in
this closet at the convent in Florissant (see below).
The chair is filled with prayer requests left by visitors.



November 9, 1834 ~ Philippine Duchesne writes to Madeleine Sophie Barat: "I am a worn out instrument, a useless walking-stick, fit only to be hidden in a dark corner.  God allows every circumstance to deepen this impression in my soul.  I have never drawn people's confidence and the same condition prevails here at Florissant now.  But here I have more spiritual help than I would have anywhere else in the United States. This is all I ask for the remainder of my life."

Taken from the book: Through the Year with Philippine Duchesne


Editors Note:  The above photo was taken in 2011 when I and fellow alums serving on the AASH Board went with Sr. Margaret Munch, RSCJ to tour the convent in Florissant, MO.  More info on the convent in Florissant ~  A closet under the stairs in the hallway of the convent was used by Mother Duchesne as a makeshift bedroom. She reportedly slept on a straw mattress with a ragged blanket in the closet to be close to the chapel.   



No comments:

Post a Comment